Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <email@example.com>
diff --git a/Documentation/RelNotes-1.5.3.txt b/Documentation/RelNotes-1.5.3.txt
index 21bb1fc..9c36e8b 100644
@@ -9,6 +9,19 @@
* The submodule support has Porcelain layer.
+ Note that the current submodule support is minimal and this is
+ deliberately so. A design decision we made is that operations
+ at the supermodule level do not recurse into submodules by
+ default. The expectation is that later we would add a
+ mechanism to tell git which submodules the user is interested
+ in, and this information might be used to determine the
+ recursive behaviour of certain commands (e.g. "git checkout"
+ and "git diff"), but currently we haven't agreed on what that
+ mechanism should look like. Therefore, if you use submodules,
+ you would probably need "git submodule update" on the
+ submodules you care about after running a "git checkout" at
+ the supermodule level.
* There are a handful pack-objects changes to help you cope better
with repositories with pathologically large blobs in them.
@@ -46,21 +59,21 @@
- "git log" learned a new option "--follow", to follow
renaming history of a single file.
- - "git-filter-branch" lets you rewrite the revision history of
+ - "git filter-branch" lets you rewrite the revision history of
specified branches. You can specify a number of filters to
modify the commits, files and trees.
- - "git-cvsserver" learned new options (--base-path, --export-all,
- --strict-paths) inspired by git-daemon.
+ - "git cvsserver" learned new options (--base-path, --export-all,
+ --strict-paths) inspired by "git daemon".
- "git daemon --base-path-relaxed" can help migrating a repository URL
that did not use to use --base-path to use --base-path.
- - "git-commit" can use "-t templatefile" option and commit.template
+ - "git commit" can use "-t templatefile" option and commit.template
configuration variable to prime the commit message given to you in the
- - "git-submodule" command helps you manage the projects from
+ - "git submodule" command helps you manage the projects from
the superproject that contain them.
- In addition to core.compression configuration option,
@@ -68,15 +81,15 @@
independently tweak zlib compression levels used for loose
and packed objects.
- - "git-ls-tree -l" shows size of blobs pointed at by the
+ - "git ls-tree -l" shows size of blobs pointed at by the
tree entries, similar to "/bin/ls -l".
- - "git-rev-list" learned --regexp-ignore-case and
+ - "git rev-list" learned --regexp-ignore-case and
--extended-regexp options to tweak its matching logic used
for --grep fitering.
- - "git-describe --contains" is a handier way to call more
- obscure command "git-name-rev --tags".
+ - "git describe --contains" is a handier way to call more
+ obscure command "git name-rev --tags".
- "git gc --aggressive" tells the command to spend more cycles
to optimize the repository harder.
@@ -112,6 +125,9 @@
- "git config" learned NUL terminated output format via -z to
+ - "git add" learned "--refresh <paths>..." option to selectively refresh
+ the cached stat information.
- "git init -q" makes the command quieter.
* Updated behavior of existing commands.
@@ -126,9 +142,19 @@
of the format ('tgz', 'tbz2' or 'zip'). Please update the
your configuration file accordingly.
+ - "git clone" uses -l (hardlink files under .git) by default when
+ cloning locally.
+ - "git bundle create" can now create a bundle without negative refs,
+ i.e. "everything since the beginning up to certain points".
- "git diff" (but not the plumbing level "git diff-tree") now
recursively descends into trees by default.
+ - "git diff" does not show differences that come only from
+ stat-dirtiness in the form of "diff --git" header anymore. When
+ generating a textual diff, it shows a warning message at the end.
- The editor to use with many interactive commands can be
overridden with GIT_EDITOR environment variable, or if it
does not exist, with core.editor configuration variable. As
@@ -143,8 +169,16 @@
given strings now have shorter abbreviations. -i is for ignore case,
and -E is for extended regexp.
+ - "git log" learned --log-size to show the number of bytes in
+ the log message part of the output to help qgit.
- "git svn dcommit" retains local merge information.
+ - "git svnimport" allows an empty string to be specified as the
+ trunk/ directory. This is necessary to suck data from a SVN
+ repository that doe not have trunk/ branches/ and tags/ organization
+ at all.
- "git config" to set values also honors type flags like --bool
@@ -167,7 +201,7 @@
and the handcrafted ones the old code created was not
properly formed anyway.
- - "git-push" pretends that you immediately fetched back from
+ - "git push" pretends that you immediately fetched back from
the remote by updating corresponding remote tracking
branches if you have any.
@@ -177,10 +211,10 @@
- "git commit --amend" is now compatible with various message source
options such as -m/-C/-c/-F.
- - "git-apply --whitespace=strip" removes blank lines added at
+ - "git apply --whitespace=strip" removes blank lines added at
the end of the file.
- - "git-fetch" over git native protocols with "-v" option shows
+ - "git fetch" over git native protocols with "-v" option shows
connection status, and the IP address of the other end, to
help diagnosing problems.
@@ -195,10 +229,10 @@
- "--find-copies-harder" option to diff family can now be
spelled as "-C -C" for brevity.
- - "git-mailsplit" (hence "git-am") can read from Maildir
+ - "git mailsplit" (hence "git am") can read from Maildir
- - "git-cvsserver" does not barf upon seeing "cvs login"
+ - "git cvsserver" does not barf upon seeing "cvs login"
- "pack-objects" honors "delta" attribute set in
@@ -208,7 +242,7 @@
- "new-workdir" script (in contrib) can now be used with a
- - "git-mergetool" learned to use gvimdiff.
+ - "git mergetool" learned to use gvimdiff.
- "gitview" (in contrib) has a better blame interface.
@@ -223,8 +257,8 @@
- "git p4import" has been demoted to contrib status. For
- a superior option, checkout the git-p4 front end to
- git-fast-import (also in contrib). The man page and p4
+ a superior option, checkout the "git p4" front end to
+ "git fast-import" (also in contrib). The man page and p4
rpm have been removed as well.
- "git mailinfo" (hence "am") now tries to see if the message
@@ -237,13 +271,15 @@
without parameter defined with "func()", not "func(void)")
have been eradicated.
+ - "git tag" and "git verify-tag" have been rewritten in C.
* Performance Tweaks
- - git-pack-objects avoids re-deltification cost by caching
+ - "git pack-objects" avoids re-deltification cost by caching
small enough delta results it creates while looking for the
best delta candidates.
- - git-pack-objects learned a new heuristcs to prefer delta
+ - "git pack-objects" learned a new heuristcs to prefer delta
that is shallower in depth over the smallest delta
possible. This improves both overall packfile access
performance and packfile density.
@@ -260,6 +296,13 @@
- verifying pack contents done by "git fsck --full" got boost
by carefully choosing the order to verify objects in them.
+ - "git read-tree -m" to read into an already populated index
+ has been optimized vastly. The effect of this can be seen
+ when switching branches that have differences in only a
+ handful paths.
+ - "git commit paths..." has also been optimized.
Fixes since v1.5.2