Merge branch 'ss/clone-depth-single-doc' into maint
Documentation for "git fetch --depth" has been updated for clarity.
docs: clarify that --depth for git-fetch works with newly initialized repos
docs: say "commits" in the --depth option wording for git-clone
docs: clarify that passing --depth to git-clone implies --single-branch
diff --git a/Documentation/fetch-options.txt b/Documentation/fetch-options.txt
index 45583d8..78cd265 100644
@@ -8,10 +8,11 @@
option old data in `.git/FETCH_HEAD` will be overwritten.
- Deepen or shorten the history of a 'shallow' repository created by
- `git clone` with `--depth=<depth>` option (see linkgit:git-clone)
- to the specified number of commits from the tip of each remote
- branch history. Tags for the deepened commits are not fetched.
+ Limit fetching to the specified number of commits from the tip of
+ each remote branch history. If fetching to a 'shallow' repository
+ created by `git clone` with `--depth=<depth>` option (see
+ linkgit:git-clone), deepen or shorten the history to the specified
+ number of commits. Tags for the deepened commits are not fetched.
If the source repository is complete, convert a shallow
diff --git a/Documentation/git-clone.txt b/Documentation/git-clone.txt
index 6bf000d..789b668 100644
@@ -190,15 +190,14 @@
Create a 'shallow' clone with a history truncated to the
- specified number of revisions.
+ specified number of commits. Implies `--single-branch` unless
+ `--no-single-branch` is given to fetch the histories near the
+ tips of all branches.
Clone only the history leading to the tip of a single branch,
either specified by the `--branch` option or the primary
- branch remote's `HEAD` points at. When creating a shallow
- clone with the `--depth` option, this is the default, unless
- `--no-single-branch` is given to fetch the histories near the
- tips of all branches.
+ branch remote's `HEAD` points at.
Further fetches into the resulting repository will only update the
remote-tracking branch for the branch this option was used for the
initial cloning. If the HEAD at the remote did not point at any