Update draft release notes for 1.5.5
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <firstname.lastname@example.org>
diff --git a/Documentation/RelNotes-1.5.5.txt b/Documentation/RelNotes-1.5.5.txt
index 874dad9..e31ae6a 100644
@@ -6,7 +6,16 @@
- * Comes with git-gui 0.9.3
+ * Comes with git-gui 0.9.3.
+ * We shouldn't ask for BSD group ownership semantics by setting g+s bit
+ on directories on older BSD systems that refuses chmod() by non root
+ users. BSD semantics is the default there anyway.
+ * Bunch of portability improvement patches coming from an effort to port
+ to Solaris has been applied.
@@ -27,6 +36,9 @@
(usability, bells and whistles)
+ * Bash completion script (in contrib) are aware of more commands and
* You can be warned when core.autocrlf conversion is applied in
such a way that results in an irreversible conversion.
@@ -54,11 +66,6 @@
used to tell "git-fetch" and "git-push" to use different URL than what
is given from the command line.
- * "git push <somewhere> HEAD" and "git push <somewhere> +HEAD" works as
- expected; they push the current branch (and only the current branch).
- In addition, HEAD can be written as the value of "remote.<there>.push"
- configuration variable.
* "git add -i" behaves better even before you make an initial commit.
* "git am" refused to run from a subdirectory without a good reason.
@@ -114,24 +121,46 @@
* "git gc" learned --quiet option.
+ * "git gc" now automatically prunes unreachable objects that are two
+ weeks old or older.
* "git grep" now knows "--name-only" is a synonym for the "-l" option.
* "git help <alias>" now reports "'git <alias>' is alias to <what>",
instead of saying "No manual entry for git-<alias>".
+ * "git help" can use different backends to show manual pages and this can
+ be configured using "man.viewer" configuration.
+ * "gitk" does not restore window position from $HOME/.gitk anymore (it
+ still restores the size).
* "git log --grep=<what>" learned "--fixed-strings" option to look for
<what> without treating it as a regular expression.
* "git gui" learned an auto-spell checking.
+ * "git push <somewhere> HEAD" and "git push <somewhere> +HEAD" works as
+ expected; they push the current branch (and only the current branch).
+ In addition, HEAD can be written as the value of "remote.<there>.push"
+ configuration variable.
+ * When the configuration variable "pack.threads" is set to 0, "git
+ repack" auto detects the number of CPUs and uses that many threads.
* "git send-email" learned to prompt for passwords
* "git send-email" learned an easier way to suppress CC
- * When the configuration variable "pack.threads" is set to 0, "git
- repack" auto detects the number of CPUs and uses that many threads.
+ * "git stash" learned "pop" command, that applies the latest stash and
+ removes it from the stash, and "drop" command to discard the named
+ stash entry.
+ * "git submodule" learned a new subcommand "summary" to show the
+ symmetric difference between the HEAD version and the work tree version
+ of the submodule commits.
* Various "git cvsimport", "git cvsexportcommit", "git svn" and
"git p4" improvements.
@@ -146,6 +175,8 @@
* "git checkout" is rewritten in C.
+ * "git remote" is rewritten in C.
* Two conflict hunks that are separated by a very short span of common
lines are now coalesced into one larger hunk, to make the result easier
@@ -153,6 +184,8 @@
* Run-command API's use of file descriptors is documented clearer and
is more consistent now.
+ * diff output can be sent to FILE * that is different from stdout. This
+ will help reimplementing more things in C.
Fixes since v1.5.4
@@ -168,6 +201,6 @@
echo O=`git describe refs/heads/master`
git shortlog --no-merges $O..refs/heads/master ^refs/heads/maint