blob: 3f6b3148a3091f6b6d635ff5778ad6a92087a0f7 [file] [log] [blame]
Git v1.7.1.1 Release Notes
Fixes since v1.7.1
* Authentication over http transport can now be made lazily, in that the
request can first go to a URL without username, get a 401 response and
then the client will ask for the username to use.
* We used to mistakenly think "../work" is a subdirectory of the current
directory when we are in "../work-xyz".
* The attribute mechanism now allows an entry that uses an attribute
macro that set/unset one attribute, immediately followed by an
overriding setting; this makes attribute macros much easier to use.
* We didn't recognize timezone "Z" as a synonym for "UTC" (75b37e70).
* In 1.7.0, read-tree and user commands that use the mechanism such as
checkout and merge were fixed to handle switching between branches one
of which has a file while the other has a directory at the same path
correctly even when there are some "confusing" pathnames in them. But
the algorithm used for this fix was suboptimal and had a terrible
performance degradation especially in larger trees.
* "git am -3" did not show diagnosis when the patch in the message was corrupt.
* After "git apply --whitespace=fix" removed trailing blank lines in an
patch in a patch series, it failed to apply later patches that depend
on the presence of such blank lines.
* "git bundle --stdin" segfaulted.
* "git checkout" and "git rebase" overwrote paths that are marked "assume
* "git commit --amend" on a commit with an invalid author-name line that
lacks the display name didn't work.
* "git describe" did not tie-break tags that point at the same commit
correctly; newer ones are preferred by paying attention to the
tagger date now.
* "git diff" used to tell underlying xdiff machinery to work very hard to
minimize the output, but this often was spending too many extra cycles
for very little gain.
* "git diff --color" did not paint extended diff headers per line
(i.e. the coloring escape sequence didn't end at the end of line),
which confused "less -R".
* "git fetch" over HTTP verifies the downloaded packfiles more robustly.
* The memory usage by "git index-pack" (run during "git fetch" and "git
push") got leaner.
* "GIT_DIR=foo.git git init --bare bar.git" created foo.git instead of bar.git.
* "git log --abbrev=$num --format='%h' ignored --abbrev=$num.
* "git ls-files ../out/side/cwd" refused to work.
* "git merge --log" used to replace the custom message given by "-m" with
the shortlog, instead of appending to it.
* "git notes copy" without any other argument segfaulted.
* "git pull" accepted "--dry-run", gave it to underlying "git fetch" but
ignored the option itself, resulting in a bogus attempt to merge
unrelated commit.
* "git rebase" did not faithfully reproduce a malformed author ident, that
is often seen in a repository converted from foreign SCMs.
* "git reset --hard" started from a wrong directory and a working tree in
a nonstandard location is in use got confused.
* "git send-email" lacked a way to specify the domainname used in the
EHLO/HELO exchange, causing rejected connection from picky servers.
It learned --smtp-domain option to solve this issue.
* "git send-email" did not declare a content-transfer-encoding and
content-type even when its payload needs to be sent in 8-bit.
* "git show -C -C" and other corner cases lost diff metainfo output
in 1.7.0.
* "git stash" incorrectly lost paths in the working tree that were
previously removed from the index.
* "git status" stopped refreshing the index by mistake in 1.7.1.
* "git status" showed excess "hints" even when advice.statusHints is set to false.
And other minor fixes and documentation updates.