blob: c4d4397023de1360b77e7c91dc9316eb16973465 [file] [log] [blame]
Git v2.10.2 Release Notes
Fixes since v2.10.1
* The code that parses the format parameter of for-each-ref command
has seen a micro-optimization.
* The "graph" API used in "git log --graph" miscounted the number of
output columns consumed so far when drawing a padding line, which
has been fixed; this did not affect any existing code as nobody
tried to write anything after the padding on such a line, though.
* Almost everybody uses DEFAULT_ABBREV to refer to the default
setting for the abbreviation, but "git blame" peeked into
underlying variable bypassing the macro for no good reason.
* Doc update to clarify what "log -3 --reverse" does.
* An author name, that spelled a backslash-quoted double quote in the
human readable part "My \"double quoted\" name", was not unquoted
correctly while applying a patch from a piece of e-mail.
* The original command line syntax for "git merge", which was "git
merge <msg> HEAD <parent>...", has been deprecated for quite some
time, and "git gui" was the last in-tree user of the syntax. This
is finally fixed, so that we can move forward with the deprecation.
* Codepaths that read from an on-disk loose object were too loose in
validating what they are reading is a proper object file and
sometimes read past the data they read from the disk, which has
been corrected. H/t to Gustavo Grieco for reporting.
* "git worktree", even though it used the default_abbrev setting that
ought to be affected by core.abbrev configuration variable, ignored
the variable setting. The command has been taught to read the
default set of configuration variables to correct this.
* A low-level function verify_packfile() was meant to show errors
that were detected without dying itself, but under some conditions
it didn't and died instead, which has been fixed.
* When "git fetch" tries to find where the history of the repository
it runs in has diverged from what the other side has, it has a
mechanism to avoid digging too deep into irrelevant side branches.
This however did not work well over the "smart-http" transport due
to a design bug, which has been fixed.
* When we started cURL to talk to imap server when a new enough
version of cURL library is available, we forgot to explicitly add
imap(s):// before the destination. To some folks, that didn't work
and the library tried to make HTTP(s) requests instead.
* The ./configure script generated from was taught how
to detect support of SSL by libcurl better.
* http.emptyauth configuration is a way to allow an empty username to
pass when attempting to authenticate using mechanisms like
Kerberos. We took an unspecified (NULL) username and sent ":"
(i.e. no username, no password) to CURLOPT_USERPWD, but did not do
the same when the username is explicitly set to an empty string.
* "git clone" of a local repository can be done at the filesystem
level, but the codepath did not check errors while copying and
adjusting the file that lists alternate object stores.
* Documentation for "git commit" was updated to clarify that "commit
-p <paths>" adds to the current contents of the index to come up
with what to commit.
* A stray symbolic link in $GIT_DIR/refs/ directory could make name
resolution loop forever, which has been corrected.
* The "submodule.<name>.path" stored in .gitmodules is never copied
to .git/config and such a key in .git/config has no meaning, but
the documentation described it and submodule.<name>.url next to
each other as if both belong to .git/config. This has been fixed.
* Recent git allows submodule.<name>.branch to use a special token
"." instead of the branch name; the documentation has been updated
to describe it.
* In a worktree connected to a repository elsewhere, created via "git
worktree", "git checkout" attempts to protect users from confusion
by refusing to check out a branch that is already checked out in
another worktree. However, this also prevented checking out a
branch, which is designated as the primary branch of a bare
reopsitory, in a worktree that is connected to the bare
repository. The check has been corrected to allow it.
* "git rebase" immediately after "git clone" failed to find the fork
point from the upstream.
* When fetching from a remote that has many tags that are irrelevant
to branches we are following, we used to waste way too many cycles
when checking if the object pointed at by a tag (that we are not
going to fetch!) exists in our repository too carefully.
* The Travis CI configuration we ship ran the tests with --verbose
option but this risks non-TAP output that happens to be "ok" to be
misinterpreted as TAP signalling a test that passed. This resulted
in unnecessary failure. This has been corrected by introducing a
new mode to run our tests in the test harness to send the verbose
output separately to the log file.
* Some AsciiDoc formatter mishandles a displayed illustration with
tabs in it. Adjust a few of them in merge-base documentation to
work around them.
Also contains minor documentation updates and code clean-ups.